Watchtower Library 2004
Manual installation of Watchtower Library 2004
With the latest version of wine, this library can install without any workarounds. For those using very old versions of wine, the following may help
I devised this method after many frustrating hours trying to get wine to run the WTLib installation program - I could never get past the Installshield problem. It's very simple to do but if any of the steps are unclear - especially for newbies please let me know and I'll amend them.
Note: Any commands in a box like this should be entered at a console as a regular user - not root.
A list of distros this process has been tested with are at the bottom of this page.
You will need:
- access to an original windows installation of Watchtower Library.
- a CD burner (If you can mount the partition under Linux, there's no need to burn anything to CD).
- dcom98.exe or Excel Viewer 97
We also need to boot into Windows to export part of the registry:
- run Regedit and Export the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Watchtower key to "wtlib2004.reg"
Burn the following to a CD (or mount the partition) to get access to these files:
- directory "Watchtower" from "C:\Program Files"
- wtlib2004.reg (or whatever you called it)
- regedit.exe (from windows directory)
Boot back into Linux
Step 1 - Install wine & winetools.
Step 2 - Using winetools create a fake drive. This should give you a new directory "~/.wine/drive_c/"
Step 3 - Make sure wine runs correctly - try running notepad.exe or any other windows app.
Step 4 - At a console cd to location of arial32.exe & dcom98.exe.
Step 5 - copy regedit.exe to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows (get this from original windows directory)
Step 6 - If for some reason you were unable to export your wtlib2004.reg file you can download one here:
- Win98 .reg file (will only work for the English version of WTLIB2004)
- XP .reg file (will only work for the English version of WTLIB2004)
Note: Use the Win98 file unless you copied the XP version of regedit.exe into wine.
Copy this file (or the one you created yourself) to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows - If you downloaded it, remember to un-tar it first. Obvious I know - sorry!
Step 7 - at a console type:
Step 8 - type:
Step 9 - Choose Import Registry File from the menu. Import the file you exported before, or the one you downloaded.
Step 10 - There are four key values you need to edit. Here's a pic for reference
The keys to edit are:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Watchtower\MEPS\System\1.1\Configurations\wtlib04_e\DAS Keys\ALL_USERS
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Watchtower\MEPS\System\1.1\Configurations\wtlib04_e\DAS Keys\PERSONAL
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Watchtower\MEPS\System\1.1\Configurations\wtlib04_e\DAS Keys\TEMP_CACHE_FILE
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Watchtower\MEPS\System\1.1\Configurations\wtlib04_e\DAS Keys\TEMP_FILE
Now make sure the above directories you just added actually exist under wine.
Step 11 - Copy the "Watchtower" directory you burned earlier to: "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files" or just copy the directory from your mounted partition.
Step 12 - Copy all the files from "Watchtower\MEPS Common" into "~/.wine/drive_c/windows"
Step 13 - Type
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Watchtower/Watchtower\ Library\ 2004/e
Step 14 - Type
That's it. Please feel free to add your language/versions to the list below.
This process has been tested successfully with:
- Fedora Core 4 - Wine 20050524
- Ubuntu 5.04 -
- Mepis 3.3 - Wine 20041019
- SuSE 9.3 - Wine 20050211
- Ubuntu 5.04/5.10 - Wine 20041019
- Momonga Linux (similar to Fedora) - Wine 0.9
- Ubuntu 5.10 - Wine 0.9
- Gentoo 2005 - Wine 0.9.4 (not import registry only decompress and copy these pre-configured wine config files into "~/.wine)
What works: (probably down to using the latest version of Wine)
- Maps & sounds
- Direct printing
- Scripture tooltips
- and probably some other stuff I don't know about yet...
I can be contacted here: http://www.snowdreamsoftware.co.uk
The Watchtower Library 2004 is found in the Wine Application Database
- http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=1485 Watchtower Library
- http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?versionId=2715 Watchtower Libary 2004.